Thursday, June 25, 2009

The new martyrs


"To be a loyal Catholic means to pay dearly for one's faith in Jesus Christ. It is impossible to exaggerate; shall I use the word “expensive”? It is not just to call oneself a Catholic or be considered a Catholic but to be a loyal Catholic." - Father John Hardon, S.J.



"Does our life become from day to day more painful, more oppressive, more replete with afflictions? Blessed be He a thousand times who desires it so. If life be harder, love makes it also stronger, and only this love, grounded on suffering, can carry the Cross of my Lord Jesus Christ. Love without egotism, without relying on self, but enkindling in the depth of the heart an ardent thirst to love and suffer for all those around us: a thirst that neither misfortune nor contempt can extinguish... I believe, O Lord; but strengthen my faith... Heart of Jesus, I love Thee; but increase my love. Heart of Jesus, I trust in Thee; but give greater vigor to my confidence. Heart of Jesus, I give my heart to Thee; but so enclose it in Thee that it may never be separated from Thee. Heart of Jesus, I am all Thine; but take care of my promise so that I may be able to put it in practice even unto the complete sacrifice of my life." - Blessed Miguel Pro, S.J., shortly before his execution.

6 comments:

Michael Cole said...

I think this generation of Catholics will witness many more martyrs. Some will suffer a dry martyrdom, others a bloody one. But the Church and the secularized atheistic culture are definitely on a collision course.

Sanctus Belle said...

Paul that is simply the most beautiful blog post I have ever read in my life. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

The martyrs of the 20th and 21st century (to date) far exceed in number the estimated 12,000,000 of the first three centuries of the Christian era: 100,000,000 alone from the two world wars, another 100,000,000 victims of Communist and Nazi persecution, and 50,000,000 abortions (surgical and chemical) per year worldwide.

ACatholicinClinton said...

I am going to share ths with my prayer group in Clinton. Thanks for the inspiring prayer.

Paul Anthony Melanson said...

Sanctus, thank you for that. Ann Ball, the prolific Catholic author, was kind enough to send me (before she went to be with the Lord recently) a beautifully laminated prayer card with a sliver from Blessed Miguel Pro's coffin which she obtained from a Jesuit who is working on Blessed Pro's cause.

I hope to have this with me when I offer my sacrifice.

Paul Anthony Melanson said...

A Catholic in Clinton: Thank you for your kind note too. I am praying for the community in Clinton.

Michael, I couldn't agree with you more. The Church will soon be in the catacombs in my opinion.

Anonymous, the 20th century and early 21st century have indeed been the bloodiest. Have you ever visited the Voice of the Martyrs website? Although not Catholic, the organization does an excellent job of documenting the persecuted Church and encouraging those who are being tortured and killed for the faith.

Site Meter